Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

mardi 28 juillet 2015

EPP Tuesday and The Big Match





It's Piece Yourself Together time again - and thanks to Anthea for hosting this linky.

Sad to say - I have done no EPPing over the last fortnight!! But I have remembered a small project that I did a few years ago that you may be interested in.

Averil Colby was a well known patchworker back in the 50's 60's and 70's. She wrote several books including one on patchwork which covers the history of patchwork as well as her own EPP methods and work.

In 2011 the Quilt Museum and Gallery in York held an exhibition of her work and I was asked to make a handling sample based on one of her quilts.

This quilt is called High Summer. I apologise for the quality of the pictures, I had to scan them from the book as I cannot find any pictures online.

 I would have loved to see the exhibition as this quilt must be stunning.

And here is my sample based on a small section of the centre panel.



It's about 8" square. You will notice that there is still some tacking holding three papers in place. This was because the sample was not backed in order to show the construction method.


+++++++++++++++++++

 This year Bergerac Football Club celebrate their centenery and in honour of the occasion they invited Chelsea Football Club's Under 21 team to come and play a match here in Bergerac.


So Saturday morning saw us sitting in the tribune stand at Bergerac Rugby Club watching this match. Fortunately it was a cloudy morning which made it very pleasant and we even had a few spits of rain!

The band played the national anthems

with the teams lined up infont



On what must be the greenest grass in the drought hit Dordogne at the moment! It even got watered at half time.


The score was Bergerac 4 Chelsea 4 so plenty of opportunity's to wave our flags!


We were even joined by the owner of Chelsea, Roman Abramovich.


A well attended match and good fun - my first live football match.

9 commentaires:

Hilachas a dit…

That quilt is fantastic and your sample is stunning. All I can say is, "Wow!"

Flickenstichlerin a dit…

Dear Lin,
looks terrific, wonderful colors and the butterfly is just too cute.
Took your advice and linked up also.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Baa. xxx a dit…

I remember years ago attending local football games with my Father. It was fun. Now I am a convert to Rugby and the All Blacks. We head to a game they have with Australia on Aug 15th and I hope the weather is good for that. That quit is spectacular and love your little sample - cute butterfly flying around.
Karen

elliek a dit…

Love your interpretation and that quilt is stunning.

JennyPennyPoppy a dit…

The High Summer quilt would have been stunning indeed to have seen in person. Your little piece with the butterfly is lovely and so nice and colourful.

Susan a dit…

Hi Lin the quilt is amazing and i like your little sample piece think the butterfly is great. X:)

Melody a dit…

Amazing quilt and your sample is delightful

JennyPennyPoppy a dit…

Happy World Embroidery Day!! It's a day to promote creativity, embroidery and a peaceful movement. All the best :)

Lesley a dit…

Love those hexies with the little butterfly!