Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Thursday 16 February 2017

A Windy Day by the Sea

Today we have been down the coast to visit two of our favourite places in this part of the world.

Our first stop was Las Negras, a small town in a beautiful cove. Sleepy at this time of year but still several bars open and a few shops. We sat outside a bar on the 'promenade' with a perfect view of the Cerro Negro - Black Mountain - for our coffee and tostadas.


A good spot for watching feeding Sandwich Terns.


After a wander around the village we moved down the coast to Playa El Playazo, known to us as Castle Bay because of the Castillo San Ramon which stands at the northern end of the beach.


The castle was built in the 18th century  to defend the Almeria coastline from Muslim pirates. We have walked to the castle on several ocassions - there is a beautiful, rocky cove the other side - but today we just took the first part of the path and then a wander over the rocks. There are some very interesting places where the sea has eroded the rocks.



We then turned round and walked along the length of the beach to the southern end. This cormorant was happily drying off it's wings on the beach.


All along the tideline we saw these jellyfish.




There are plenty more rocks and pools to investigate at the bottom end of the beach and being windy there was plenty of spray too!


A good view too of the Cerro Negro back at Las Negras.

A rare picture of a windswept me!!



Once a centre for mining, Almeria is now very much a tourist area but it also produces a large quantity of vegetables for Europe. Most of these are grown under plastic and so as we leave the coast and head inland there is a large wide valley which is just full of plastic green houses. This picture shows just a tiny amount to give you an idea of what it looks like.


There are some interesting pictures taken from space which show the extent of this plastic see here

Well I think that that is enough pictures for one day - I hope you enjoyed.

26 comments:

  1. I feel like I was there! You look pretty all windswept. The jellyfish are blending in, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing, that is a beautiful looking coast. Enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures - something about the seaside even when it's windy is so peaceful to me...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the right place to be at this time of year :-)
    Shame about all that plastic, but we are just as guilty - expecting out of season food all year round.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing all your photos. What an interesting coastline...rugged and beautiful at the same time. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Thanks for sharing such beautiful photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking us along on your journey , such a beautiful shore with its rocky cliffs . I enjoy those kind of days with the wind blowing my hair 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an amazing place, thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    Castle looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to see such wonderful sunny scenes at this grey season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Lin such beautiful pics of a beautiful place,thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful photos! I want to go there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Lin, I think the coastal walk would have been wonderful - even in the wind (you looked suitably dressed and cosy for your walk). It was very rugged in spots.

    I was so impressed to see the huge area of greenhouses from the link you provided... I didn't imagine there'd be so many. They must supply a vast number of retail outlets. Fascinating!

    Cheerio and continue to enjoy your wonderful holiday 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful - what a wonderful place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tour of Almeria. It looks very beautiful, and so untouched, although I am sure that probably isn't so. Love seeing the photo of your hubby looking through binoculars I believe. That is how my hubby is usually seen too. He takes binoculars with him everywhere he goes. And of course he sees birds and passes the binoculars to me to have a look but by that time they have flown away. The greenhouses are fascinating to see as well. Quite a huge area covered with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, such beautiful photos - it looks like a wonderful spot to visit - and sounds like you had a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a beautiful spot! I hope you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely place to visit. Thanks for sharing the photos..
    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful place beautiful photos :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful place to be able to spend some time! Lucky you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lovely! I don't travel much outside of my state, so it's always fun to go on a travelogue with other bloggers . Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos Lin, interesting about the vegetables. My daughter always spends her holidays in Almeria, always depend on wonderful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos, Lin. Lovely to see you, all windswept, but keeping cosy!
    Interesting to see the link to the pictures of the greenhouses! It seems quite sad to think of all that plastic, but we all expect our vegetables and salads all year round so I guess we are all to blame!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lin oh WOW, WOW, WOW! love the photos. It looks beautiful.x:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous spot...xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.