Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Monday 3 April 2017

A small finish

This lovely Liberty tissue case has lived in my handbag for more years than I care to remember!



And, as you can see, the corners are now very much the worse for wear! So I decided that it was time for me to make a new one. If you follow me on IG you will have seen work in progress on this piece of embroidery.

I thought you might be interested to see where the design comes from and how I transfered it to my piece of fabric.
I have a few of these 'rubbing blocks' which I bought some years ago from Art Van Go. Some of the designs are not to my taste but this particular block has been well worth the purchase.

 Tricky to photograph as it reflects but you should get the idea. It is about 6" square.

I stuck the block to my work surface with some blu tack and then sellotaped my fabric over it.



I then used one of my Markal oil sticks to make a rubbing.



I chose a pretty pearly pink which would glint through my stitching and anywhere else it happened to catch.




The fabric needs to be left for 24 hours and then is ironed, covered with a piece of baking parchment, with a hot iron. The oil is now set and you can get on with your embroidery. I used mainly chain stitch variations with some fly and feather stitches too.

And here is my finished tissue case.




I worked this piece of embroidery for a small bag some years ago using the same method.



Linking up with Super Mom No Cape and her Stitchery Link Party.

Now what are these doing flowering so early - they should not be in flower until May!


Have a great week everyone.


21 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty bag and a unique way of making it. Thanks for laying it out step by step. You make it seem easy. I especially love the piece of embroidery using lots of pretty colored threads. That is rich and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh Lin it's soooo pretty!!! It was lovely seeing how you did that - you are way too clever!!! I think I want one of these now but I'll have to find a tissue case to get a pattern first and I'm sure it won't be looking as gorgeous as that one of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea that looks great......

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful embroidery! I also love the bright pink colour for the material! Thank you for sharing how you made it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful that you make an everyday item so very pretty. Your embroidery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I want to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely idea and a very pretty addition to your handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful embroidery on both the bag and tissue holder, such a clever way to transfer the design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tissue case Lin and interesting way to transfer the design. Love the pretty colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dare I say it, but I prefer your new case to your older Liberty one. The piping detail sets it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an ingenious use of the rubbing blocks - a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool process! Great! Love how your stitcheries look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a beautiful case. Thanks for showing all the steps. I like the idea of a rubbing instead of tracing the design. i must check out that website, thanks for the link and the inspiration.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks lovely. Thanks for sharing the process too. Now I have an idea of what to do with my paint sticks. I'm going to try some rubbings around Ryde!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! Although if I put that much work into a tissue case I wouldn't want it to reside in my bag! Love the first piece you did as well. What is that technique called again?...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that effect... did you also do the stitching on the one in the background of your blog? Great to see how you transferred the pattern too....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful Lin! I loved seeing the process too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new tissue case, it's BEAUTIFUL !
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty little tissue holder! I love all the embroidered flowers.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for the link back. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work. Stitching and sewing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.