Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Monday 20 November 2017

An Open Wide bag

With all my Christmas sewing out of the way I thought it was time that I made myself a present! I have had this gorgeous Chinese Oriental Flower fabric for a few months (thank you Sue) and have been wanting to make it into a bag.

One of these Open Wide bags seemed to be the perfect match.


I had not used this pattern before so, being a good girl, I read through the instructions before I started! There are a lot of them and it all sounded rather complicated but once you get started they are extremely well written and easy to follow.

I made the medium sized bag and used Soft and Stable as the wadding.

I was worried about adding the end pieces and sewing round the curve but they set in perfectly. Adding the binding was not quite so easy. I hand stitched the reverse of the binding - machining round seemed like a step too far and anyway, I prefer the finished look of hand stitching.

The zip went in like a dream although I could not bring myself to cut the zip as per the instructions! However, cutting it once it was sewn in place worked well and I left the end stop in place too as it is covered by the fabric tab. Again, adding the binding over the zip took patience and there was a little reverse stitching here but I got there in the end.

And so here is my lovely new bag.





I am very pleased with the finished bag - the Soft and Stable works really well and is very light although I think for the small version I will use something a little less bulky.

I am linking up with Elm Street Quilts for Bag It 2017


21 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your bag is gorgeous. Love the fabric too. Obviously, Sue has great taste. You did an awesome job for your first try. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Open wide bag is one of my favorite bags. I tested this bag for Annie, and I too sewed the binding like a quilt, half by hand, because it is too difficult to deal with it all by machine. Your bag is beautiful! I really should finish up the scrappy Open Wide bags that I started last year! I don't know why I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely treat for yourself - and what a glorious fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag is stunning and love your fabric choice.Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Lin your bag is amazing i love it,the fabric is gorgeous i am glad that you treated yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful bag , the fabric was a perfect choice for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the bag, the fabric is gorgeous and the bag turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful bag and I like the way the end of the zipper tucks away.. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fabric you used for your bag Lin - it's perfect and the bag is beautiful! I've made an Annie's bag and also found that her instructions are very detailed and well written and it all - surprisingly - came together in the end!! PS GOod on you finishing your Christmas sewing for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric is so lovely and you have made a very chic bag there. Well done you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks absolutely wonderful Lin...one of those is on my list of 'to-do's'! Your's looks fabulous and that fabric is just perfect! Good on you! xox:o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully made, Lin; I love the fabric !
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new bag.... sometimes it's worth trying a new pattern...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. That fabric is awesome - my first attempts at projects don't usually go as well as yours did -you really did a wonderful job on it! I'm envious that you have your Christmas sewing done already - I still have several (more than several - many, even!) things to get done - but I'm having too much fun going through bag links at Elm Street Quilts, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful! You are so clever. I wouldn't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful bag! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautifully made bag Lin, you should be very proud of your work :D) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your bag Lin!
    Gorgeous fabric!
    A lovely finish!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lin I love your wide bag it is really beautiful I think the fabric you have used is gorgeous. X:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing bag Lin, what a lovely design and the fabric is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.