Saturday, 22 August 2026

Cooling down

Yes, temperatures have dropped here to reasonable/normal levels and we have even had rain! But nothing significant enough to help the garden although there is more forecast for later next week. We had tickets for the cricket yesterday - our annual meet up with friends - and have had fingers crossed all week that the rain would hold off. Which it did fortunately. It was a cloudy day with sunny spells and perfect for cricket. Even better Somerset had a good day with both bat and then ball so we were all very happy. Great to catch up with our friends too.

Here is my Stitch Journal for the week - cricket suitably commemorated.


I finished the socks earlier in the week.


A perfectly matching pair which is a first!

A finish means a start so I had a new project in mind. I needed to use up some sock wool scraps and spotted a pattern online that I though would be perfect. First though I pulled out all my scraps and selected a pile that would work with a skein of co-ordinating yarn.


I had ordered the circular needle recommended in the pattern - a ProKnit Zing and made a start. Fairly soon I realised that me and the needles were not getting along - the straight bit you hold to knit with seemed too short. So I ordered a pair of 10" Zing needles in the same size. When they arrived I swapped over and soon realised 1. that they were much nicer than the circular and 2. that they felt thicker. So I got out my trusty needle guage and sure enough the circular needle slipped easily through the guage where as the straight needle had to be pushed through. Not sure if you can see the difference in my photo but I can 'in the flesh'.


Anyway I have written to ProKnit and await their thoughts.
So I carried on knitting even though feeling that this would all be coming out as I could tell the tension was going to be out. Plus of course I had not taken into account that not all 4 ply's are the same thickeness.
Anyway, here I am so far and on the point of pulling it apart.


Quite apart from the tension issue I can see that I have not got my 'sashing' even and need to work out precisely how many rows to work and from which side to pick up. Unfortunately the pattern is not helpful on this point. Plus the pattern is all worked in garter stitch and I have decided to use stocking stitch for the centre of the squares. Maybe I will put it to one side and get out my granny square jumper lol.

Meanwhile I have been working on my Chookshed Challenge and have finished my teasel.


I am now working on this cone flower.


Only just over a week to the end of the month so I need to get cracking, fortunately the last flower will be a cowslip which should be quick.

Now, I must mention my Book of the Year So Far! It is this one and I can not reccomend it more highly.


Such a delicious read about friendship, love and loss. Absolutely brilliant and I give it 10 out of 5 stars.

So that is my update for the week. Happy stitching.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting about the inconsistency of the "same-sized" knitting needles. Thanks for the book tip. If not for me, then maybe Mom would enjoy it. Have a great week. Glad your weather has calmed down. Here too in Illinois, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased to read you have had some rain Lin, & hopefully more to come. Also that your temps are a bit lower & more bearable. What a shame re the knitting needles. I have made a note of that book as i love it when fellow bloggers recommend books & I shall see if my library has it. Wishing you a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame your scrappy squares are not working out for you. Some of the ladies in my local club have made beautiful blankets using that or a similar pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy looking at your gorgeous stitcheries. I will look that book up. I am glad that we are on the other end of winter and hopefully heading into warmer weather in the Land Downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative! The socks are marvelous. I sometimes hear about Cricket on British television programs, but I don’t know anything about it. I should try google.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have had a bit of a weather change and had a good day at the cricket.... the needles issue is interesting... I have noticed not all yarns are equal too! I have reserved that book thx. Love the embroidery as always....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear some cooler weather has happened. Your stitching is wonderful - shame about the needles, I do like the pattern. Great socks. I will see if the local library has that book,, thanks for the reccomendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, when you find even "same size" needles aren't the same size, you begin to understand why swatching is so often emphasized!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great socks, dear Lin... and the season for them will be here again soon. Though I actually wish summer would stick around a little longer.
    Looking at your new knitting project, it’s immediately clear: practice makes perfect!
    Just like with your fantastic embroidery—you’re a real master at that :-)))
    I’ve often knitted with carbon needles and achieved great results, since they have excellent tips and glide beautifully.
    I’m sure you’ll keep coming back to your knitting project until you’ve perfected it... and that’s exactly how a craft project should be. In any case, I hope you have lots of fun with your embroidery and knitting.
    All the best and a big hug, Viola
    P.S. I’m still practicing my quilting and patchwork :-))
    Thank you for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to catch up on blog reading and seeing your posts on the fabulous quilt exabition. So many stunning art quilts.
    Lovely stitching in your journal and also the embroidery work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.