Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 19 May 2018

FNSI May

Yesterday was Friday Night Sew In - many thanks to Wendy for hosting us. You can see what everyone got up to here


A few weeks ago I came across Jennifer Clouston's Boro Inspired Sewing Caddy and I immediately thought of my solar dyed fabrics from a couple of years ago.

I pulled out my box of fabrics and had lots of fun choosing the fabrics for the outside of the caddy, working the little embroideries and then 'boroing' it all together. Sorry - no work in progress pics! On Friday afternoon I was able to sew the drawstring bag into position and add the ribbons. So here it is.

The yellow side - fabrics dyed with rosemary, walnut husks and onion skins.


The blue side - fabrics dyed with black bean soaking water, morning glory flowers and elderberries.


The inside


I still need to find a suitable cord to cover and then attach around the outer edge of the bag - it also makes the loop for a button closure. So far everything was from stash but I think I am going to have to go out and buy some suitable cord. I love this little bag and - it goes beautifully with the log cabin pincushion I made last year which sits very neatly inside the drawstring bag.


I have also recently acquired a copy of Anni Downs 'A Gardeners Journal' and have been looking forward to starting on one of the embroideries. I am not planning on making the quilt but the designs will make super minis for gifts - and me! I decided to start with the Dovecote and here is how much progress I made yesterday.


The sun has been shining here for the last few days which has made a pleasant change - last weekend was awful! So I am off outside with my embroidery - hope you have a great weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Love your bag, the colours are beautiful, wonderful dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice projects ..... . Boro is in isn't it.......
    Also I loved sewing the gardeners journal stitcheries.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd pop in whilst having breakfast before beginning on more packing ........ what a fantastic little sewing caddy! I love that it has the drawstring bag inside and I really love the sundyed fabrics! What beautiful blues were made! I'll try to remember to ask you about the pattern once we get shifted as it would be great for taking hand embroidery to places

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great bag, Lin!
    I love this style. I’ve been meaning to make something along these lines for ages .... seems to keep going further down my list ..... one day!
    Love the dyed fabrics and you did just the right amount of stitching!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bag. It's gorgeous. Beautiful stitchery. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics and bag Lin, love the stitchery. How nice to take your stitching outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lin wow what a beautiful bag i have been seeing boro work everywhere at the moment and i really liked it,your new bag is stunning and love your stitchery well done my friend on your gorgeous work xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely colours you achieved with the different ways of dying .
    Your bag is lovely and sew useful.
    Nice to have been able to do a little stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely result from your dyed fabrics Lin, such a handy caddy! I remember you dying those fabrics & being fascinated with the ways you achieved your colours.
    So lovely to get some sunshine... we are getting glorious weather here too, but I don't want it... it's so late in Autumn and we've barely had rain since mid-Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lin what lovely results for your bag...the colours are amazing.....just blows my mind what nature provides us. Our weather's been perfect of late....coolish nights and warm days between 17-27 degrees most days....just perfect. Loving your stitchery too...great idea...sometimes a whole quilt is just too much. thanks for joining me at FNSI … I had a blast! xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an incredible sewing bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sewing caddy is fantastic! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great success - and if there are no "in progress" pics, I think that just means that genius was burning too hot for photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful projects.The bag caought my eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bag is absolutely stunning, I love how soft and subtle the colors are, the embroidery adds the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you have done your bag and the dyed fabric is in such pretty soft colours...... will be very useful.... Yay for the GJ pattern getting there and making a start - they are lovely pictures aren't they.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever you! I always have trouble making bags and yours is so lovely. Have fun with Anni's quilt blocks. I have had my completed stitcheries sitting in a box for years still waiting to be pieced together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colours of the natural dyes. I've just got a new book, Natural Color, so perhaps I should try out some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this little bag. I have just asked Jennifer if I can buy the pattern. So sweet looking

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some lovely projects happening at your place

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.