Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 25 March 2023

March travels

 There has been some sewing going on this month - mainly quilting Red Manor House, but I also have new cushions on my dining room chairs. My RSC blocks are cut, but yet to be sewn.

However we have been travelling this month and first up was a long weekend in Cornwall leaving on Friday morning. First up was a visit to an old friend of Philips in Liskeard, then on to Charlestown. This stunning harbour has been used in many films and TV series (some listed here ) but most notably to my mind Poldark.





It was a great place for lunch and we also found some nice craft shops and a very well stocked antique shop. Lucky to have such a nice sunny day too.

The next day we visited first Fowey. It was cold and windy so we didn't see it at it's best!



Here I was looking across the river to Polruan.


We decided to drive on to Menabilly Barton and parked in a field with this lovely sign.



We took a gentle stroll down to Polridmouth Bay (past the milk churn) which is unspoilt and quiet.




Menabilly is well known as being the home of Daphne de Maurier for some years. After her husband died she moved to nearby Kilmarth which is used as the setting for The House on the Strand which I very much enjoyed reading while we were away.



On Sunday we visited The Eden Project which I had been very much looking forward to - and was not disappointed. Being March the gardens were still looking wintry although there was a good display of spring flowers around the domes.






I loved the Rainforest biome - we were greeted by these lovely little  Roul-roul partridges which were introduced to the dome as a pest control. They scratch the soil and eat any bugs and are especially fond of cockroach eggs evidently. The original small group has multiplied until now they have no idea how many there are in the biome.


They scuttle around making them difficult to photograph.










The Mediterranean biome was not so spectacular but again I am sure it will be later in the season.







The weather changed on Monday and we had some rain at times. We stopped in Bodmin and were just in time to watch the annual St Piran's Day march. These people at the head of the march were followed by all the local schoolchildren waving their black and white Cornish flags.



And finally we visited the stunning - but stark- Castle Drogo.


However, inside it is beautiful and must have been very comfortable. It was built between 1911 and 1930 and is the last castle to have been built in Britain. Lovely gardens too!




I hope you have enjoyed this little visit to Cornwall as much as I did.

12 comments:

  1. Nice of you to take me to Cornwall. The snow is falling again and a get away was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely trip about, thanks for taking us along. I would have loved to have visited Eden, but didn't get the opportunity before immigrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin thankyou for sharing your visit with us ,you saw some lovely sites,my favourite is the castle ,lots of history in these places,love the pics of the places too that you visited ,very interesting,hope you have a lovely day Lin 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of your travels Lin. Just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lin, I've thoroughly enjoyed strolling through your photos. So many lovely places you visited. When I think of Cornwall I think of Daphne du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek and Jamaican Inn. Also of course we can't forget the excellent series of Poldark. Eden looks like the kind of place one could get lost in for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Eden Project is a delight, isn't it! I have heard that they are going to develop another Eden Project somewhere around Barrow in Furness, as well..
    I keep meaning to read a Daphne du Maurier novel, and haven't got around to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you saw such lovely places .... I hope to see some of those one day....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the visit, I really enjoyed it. I love the Poldark series. The Eden Project looks amazing. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, dear Lin, for your wonderful photos and your travel description... I was very happy to be on the road with you... and to learn a lot of news. The Eden Project is great... as is your whole journey. Thank you very much.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love PoldarK! Some amazing scenery on your travels Lin. Loved seeing all your photos. The Eden project looks so interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! That was a lovely trip and it was a nice way to spend your weekend. I guess the duchess wasn't around to visit? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful trip....... Love all the photos..... So pleased your shared them with us.......

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.