Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Tuesday 8 January 2019

Another New Year!

It's nearly a month since my last post. During that time we have been to UK to visit friends and family over Christmas and New Year. I hope that you all enjoyed Christmas and I wish you all a

VERY HAPPY 2019!
A new year means a new journal and this year I have decided to combine my sewing journal with my day to day 'to do' lists etc. I purchased a cheap bullet journal last year and had some fun making a cover for it.

I made a large piece of embellished felt ( you can see my method here ) and used a DMTV travel journal tutorial, adapting it to my own needs.


We spent the weekend before New Year in Bristol and visited the Clifton suspension bridge. I have driven over this stunning bridge several times, so on this occasion it was good to spend some time walking over it and looking around the visitor centre.


There were several competitions to choose the design for the bridge during the early 1800's and Isambard Kingdom Brunel's design was eventually chosen. However the bridge you see above, although his design, was modified by the eventual builders. The bridge was opened in 1864, after Brunel's death.


The bridge is a toll bridge and self funding.



There are lovely views - if it is not foggy and grey!



Good to be out for a walk.



Another lovely visit during our trip was to Hestercombe Gardens near Taunton. Another grey day but even in winter the gardens are beautiful and with a small person in our group the Christmas garden trail was worth doing for it's chocolate reward!







The Witches hut is a favourite stopping place ..


I love the way this tree has pushed its way though the back of the hut and produced some beautiful catkins.


Well I think that is enough for one post - more tomorrow!



12 comments:

  1. Love your journal cover. Wonderful photo's of your trip to England. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a journal cover. It turned out gorgeous! Your holiday photos are beautiful, even without the sun shining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to combine visiting family and friends with a little sightseeing. The walk over the Clifton suspension bridge must be fabulous. The gardens look lovely to, even in the depths of Winter. Isn't the witches' hut is quaint. Your new journal is pretty. Love the felt cover you fashioned and the pretty colours of the paper are pretty. May you jot down many, many lovely thoughts and 'things-to-do' this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, your journal cover looks terrific! Quite unique. The photos from your trip are beautiful. I love the atmosphere of the wintery weather for your scenic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Lin! Great to see you again.
    That's a beautiful journal cover (I tried the link but it says I don't have permission to access).
    Loved all your holiday photos too (and beaut to see you as well :D)).
    A beautiful walk in the Gardens... oh the catkin growing through into the witches hut, how amazing!
    Looking forward to visiting you over this year too. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely personalised journal you have made. Thanks for the wonderful tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some great pictures of interesting places... bridges amaze me how they stay doing their work so well.... Great journal cover....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you too Lin. Loved seeing your holiday snaps...the Witches hut is neat. You always make your journals so lovely Lin. Another definite winner xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The architectural historian Jonathan Foyle did a programme about the Clifton Suspension Bridge in which he climbed up it with the help of a climber and a team of riggers, so that they could look at it really close up. It was absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this post!?
    I was surprised to see that any garden is open in winter,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful couple of walks. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures from them. I too would love to see this. Happy journaling and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your journal cover. Thanks for sharing your pictures - I love the suspension bridge. I have seen that sight so often as I have family in Bristol, and it's always lovely to see x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.