Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Tuesday 5 April 2022

Last week

 Looking back through my photographs I realised that we crammed a lot in to last week!

We started out on Monday morning with a trip in to Taunton for some shopping and to see The Moon which was hanging in Taunton's new Minster, St Mary Magdalene church. 



Glad we went early as there were pictures in the press of huge queues waiting to go in. Well worth the visit as it was an amazing sight and the setting in the church was stunning.

We found time  for a couple of afternoon drives and it was good to be out and about again in the Somerset countryside. One afternoon we visited Fyne Court and enjoyed a short walk in the park. Spotted these trees with their roots growing above ground. Lots of interesting shapes in there.




It was a chilly afternoon - fortunately we missed the snow shower as we were in the book snug browsing the second hand books!

A second afternoon found us at Nettlecombe where we visited the interesting church. It's looking very picturesque in this picture which I snapped waiting for an enormous lorry to pass us - not what we had expected to find down a narrow Somerset lane!


I finished up two more Wings and Pretty Things blocks.



Earlier in the week we had to visit Wiveliscombe and I enjoyed a wander round this old town. I was attracted to these old house fronts with their lovely carvings.




The Jubilee Gardens, built for The Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977 had some interesting features. I loved these gates



and this totem erected in tribute to children and families of the First World War. I hope that you will be able to see some of the lovely details if you click on the pictures to enlarge them.









You will be pleased to hear that the bathroom renovations are well under way, that we now have a flushing toilet and will be allowed to use the new shower tomorrow evening!

Until next time.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely trips out..... how did they put the moon in the church? that looks pretty amazing and lovely memorial... so much detail... great to see another couple of Wings blocks and to hear your plumbing is all sorted.. that was quick
    HUgz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely days out and interesting places to visit. You're settling nicely back into the British way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looking at the moon in the church with my mouth open wondering how that happens. I’m thinking this is something that would be a must see in person. I love your newest Wings and Pretty Things blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the Moon in another venue - it is a very striking and startling experience, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post!!! That knarly tree, the old buildings, and that huge moon really stand out!!
    Your backgrounds on your applique' project are a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking me on your tour. It is such fun to see it through you eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I have to admit that the Moon is very impression but how did it fit through the doors? It's awesome though! I love when you go visiting places and you bring us along. It's always fun to discover places with you. Love the carvings at the windows. Imagine how old they must be. Awesome! The totem for the children is very saddening. Beautiful but sad. Two more beautiful blocks done for Wings and Pretty Things. Slowly but surely you're getting this quilt done. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the beautiful architecture you shared here. I too love taking the time to notice even if it's in tree roots! Ha! glad you have a usable toilet and soon a shower. Progress is progress whether it's in our lovely quilt blocks or in a renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy busy! That moon only just seems to fit in! Great news re the bathroom reno's - We've just had to have the plumber to our new house here to get 2 toilets taken out and new ones put in as they could no longer have the seals fixed and were leaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your trippin about pics....the moon in the church setting was amazing. Beautiful tributes to the WW1 children. It must be amazing to have so much history to enjoy. Loving your pretty Wings blocks xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a strange sight, the moon in the church lol. I love the ceiling in the church. I wonder what era those beautiful carved decorations on the houses are. Such a lovely way to honour children from WW1. Sad, but a great way to remember them. So many things are forgotten or overlooked. Woohoo! A flushing toilet!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed seeing all your photos Lin!
    The moon looked amazing, beautiful setting for it!
    Those carvings! How have they survived?!!!!
    Lovel appliqué blocks. Nic to be able to see all the detail. I’d forgotten about clicking on the photos! Had to look at my own latest ones to see if they were clickable too! 🤣😂🤣😂
    Have a great week!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I showed hubby the moon photos and he asked “what is it made of?” Can you help please Lin?
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. THe old town is so quaint!
    YOur applique' project is so so sweet and lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.