Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 31 July 2021

Catching up

 First of all a reminder that the powers that be are removing the follow by email feature so if that is how you follow my posts then you will need to find another way. Hopefully this post will sneak in under the line!

After a brief hot spell we are back to cooler weather and showers here. One bonus of this is that I have been able to crack on with quilting my tablecloth. The quilting lines are all marked and fortunately I got back to the beginning without being way out! I'll save pictures until it's complete.

I have also worked on four more Field Journal embroideries - and here they are.


I am going to try and do one of these a week although the next one on my pile has got a lot of work in it! Maybe its something for FNWF which should be coming up next week.

Also for Ausust there is a new RSC colour to work on - aqua. Mmm lovely, I'm sure I have some of those to work with.

A few weeks back I saw a lovely post by Freezeframe Annie here where she recycled some junk mail return envelopes into lovely tag pockets. I thought this was a great idea and decided to have a go by adding some into my sketchbooks. First up though was a lovely envelope and stationery which arrived in the post from Australia. It was far too nice to throw away so I thought I would try out the pocket technique on it. I used the back of the letter paper to line the envelope which I glued into one of my sketchbooks and also used some of the paper to cover a tag that I had been saving.


I then enlarged some of the beautiful flower and leaf shapes from the paper, using them to fill the rest of the double page spread. I spent a couple of happy afternoons drawing and then paiting these.


I am sure I will be using some of those flower shapes to make print blocks from at some point.
I then turned to something completely different!


This return envelope was cut in half and glued onto a page in my sketchbook challenge sketchbook. I then covered the envelope and page with a layer of gesso.



You cant see it here but the laft hand page is mostly covered with a piece of green/black splodgy paper which I had added when I started the sketchbook. So I next rubbed a black oil pastel over parts of the spread before splashing on some greeny blue paints.


Rummaging through my tag basket for something to put in the pocket I found a couple of pieces of experimental newspaper/painted bondaweb/printing/sheerfabric/machine stitching in colours that go perfectly with my page.


The print on it is a Hundertwasser spiral from when I had a Hunderwasser phase a few years back. So I pulled out the print blocks that I had made then and used one of them to print onto my page and the pocket.


I stabilised the tag and added some gold around it's edges.


And that is as far as I have got. I can see some gold script on the page somewhere - maybe a Hundertwasser quote about spirals. We shall see.

Well if you have made it to the end of this post - thank you! and well done.

Have a good week and I shall see you at Cheryll's place next week.


16 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love how you create. Extending the flowers onto the page is genial. The second page doesn't look like pages anymore but canvas. Love both! Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely summery set of greens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at the layers that go into a piece of art.... whatever the size or medium.... beautiful work.... YOur FJ stitcheries are lovely... makes me want to do them again! I am behind now on this years ones..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your field journals are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had fun at playtime

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hexie stitcheries are beautiful Lin, love seeing what you do in your journals using the envelopes is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your field notes embroidery. Your stitching is so beautiful. I probably say that every time I comment, but really it is. Oh, what fun you’ve had with the junk envelope tags! Your first one...that really is a great way to use the pretty paper and envelope. Love your drawn and painted flowers journal page. The painted pages and envelope are awesome! I love that modern abstract design. Gorgeous tag to tuck into that envelope. I love your spiral stamp too. Adding the stitching to the tag is a super fine detail. I loved seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your embroidered hexies and the colours you have chosen. How clever are you with yout papercraft! Great idea using the envelopes. It looks like you would have had fun doing it and playing with paint. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love everything you are working on Lin & your creations are always so beautiful! I especially LoVe your tag pockets. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pretty CGT embroideries and your journal envelope upcycling is wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE the Field Journal hexies!! Any way to repurpose items is fantastic to me. You made your tag pockets so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always you are whipping up a beautiful creative storm, Lin. Those embroidered hexies are lovely. Those envelopes you are upcycling are fantastic....so very clever and so very inventive and inspirational. I slipped over to Annie's blog to see her ideas...just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work Lin, always with creative ideas for your journal. Love your beautiful embroidered hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your tag - so so pretty!
    The hexies with embroidery are just my favorite every time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love seeing your art work - along side your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your field journal entries are gorgeous!! What a beautiful idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.