Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Friday 28 October 2022

Exeter Cathedral

 Earlier this week we met up with friends and spent some time looking around Exeter Cathedral. For those of you who don't live in the UK, Exeter is in Devon in the south west.



Construction of the Cathedral began in 1114 with a major rebuild between 1270 and 1350.




The ceiling you can see here is the longest continuous medieval stone vault in the world at 96 metres long.



There is a replica of one of the bosses that hold the vaulting together in the next picture to the right of the Bishops Throne which is 16m tall.


Everywhere you look in the Cathedral you can see beautiful canvas work and embroidery.

I love the way these cushions are shaped to fit round the pillars.



Some more examples




There were a series of works by Ilya Fisher  on display. She is a photographer who add stitch to her pieces.



If you click on the picture above you should be able to read about her work!

There were lots more unusual things to find in the Cathedral including this Astronomical clock


The hole in the bottom of this door was made in the late 1500's to allow the Bishops cat to enter and deter mice and rats


The tallest of these organ pipes is 11m


And you almost need to stand on your head to see this painting of Christ ressurected under the canopy covering a Bishops tomb


A few more views and first the rest of the organ pipes.




If you are still with me then thank you for taking the time and I hope you enjoyed.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I would have missed those cushions and other txtiles if you did not point it out. Thank you!🌷

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it was an interesting visit, Lin. Lovely to see the old tapestries. Hehe cute to see the cat door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I have passed Exeter many time on routes "to" and "from", but never actually visited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly went to university in Exeter - look at what I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove old cathedrals and this one is awesome. They really knew how to build things to last back then and I love how the UK has so many beautiful centuries old buildings . I never got to Devon as I was on a time line to drive down to Cornwall. I glanced at the off ramp as I drove past lol. 7 years ago now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous pictures! Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok that just immediately went on my bucket list - how absolutely gorgeous! Today's builders could learn a few things, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tire of virtual field trips around the UK. The architecture and art are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - amazing architecture particularly in the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there is nothing like that here........it is amazing.........

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.