Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Thursday 29 June 2023

This n That!

 Well the big excitement around here is that we finally have a nice, shiny new kitchen! What started out like this



now looks like this!


No wasted space and the ugly boiler all boxed in - I am very happy.

We took a day out last week to visit Montacute House. When I first moved to Somerset many years ago I lived nearby and visited regularly but had not visited for nearly 30 years, so it was a real pleasure to spend some time wandering round again.


There is a very impressive drive approaching the house from the main road - visitors arrive now via the village! The house is built from Ham stone from a local quarry at Stoke sub Hamdon. It is a lovely warm yellow.


There is a lot of topiary in the garden and I especially love the wibbly wobbly hedges


This side of the house had the sun on it so you can see it's lovely colour.


Two sides of the same wall



Inside the house is furnished and there is plenty for the embroidery enthusiast. A couple of the beds have bedspreads covered in embroidered slips. There is a beautiful stumpwork box. Not easy to see because it is inside a box in a darkened room! But you can see enough to appreciate all the beautiful stitchery.


Another bedroom is given over to a splendid exhibition of samplers from the Goodhart Collection. Click on the link for photographs if you love samplers. I could have spent all day in there!


Then up to the top floor for the piece de resistance - The Long Gallery.



The gallery is the longest in England. Some of the rooms leading off of the gallery contain a selection of Tudor and Jacobean portraits from the National Portrait Gallery which are fascinating for their attention to detail on the costumes.


Two final views - thank you for making it this far!


Now for some sewing. I have been wanting to do some clamshell patchwork for a while and having decided to make another Sew Together Bag to hold my EPP templates and papers I thought it would be nice to make the outside of the bag from clamshells.
It is many a year since I did any - these examples are from my Super Scrappy Quilt and were probably done for City and Guilds but whether that was embroidery or patchwork I have no recollection!




Those fabrics are certainly from 'a long time ago'

Anyway, having checked my Avril Colby and dismissed her method of making the patches instantly, I turned to Google for help and also received some very helpful advice from Michelle . Working with some of the offcuts from my lovely Tilda stash, this is as far as I have got.


I am loving them and am a little bit obsessed so have nothing else to show although I have done a few more inches of knitting.

I think that is enough from me for now, thank you for staying with me.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new kitchen. It is beautiful...you are likely either inspired to do a ton of baking / cooking or want to stay out of it to keep it clean. Thank you for sharing your photos of Montacute House. It looks like a lovely place to visit. Those clamshells are pretty in the Tilda fabrics. Enjoy the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely new Kitchen.
    Clamshells are very addictive. love your progress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new kitchen. It looks so nice now but it must be just dreadful having to go for days without a functioning kitchen. Love the tour of the chateau. Thanks for taking us with you once again. I've enjoyed it. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new kitchen looks just wonderful Lin & a very nice space to work in. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your kitchen!! I bet you will enjoy cooking even more. That is what I say about myself if I ever get a new kitchen.
    The clamshells are so wonderful. I recently got a surprise package of the paper templates for EPP in clamshells and have a small project in mind. We shall see. Seeing yours does inspire me though.
    Oh for the wonderful mansion photos. I would die to visit there! Thanks for the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful new kitchen Lin and a great day out. love your clamshells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen ended up pretty & practical. That's always a win-win!! I did a clamshell project a while ago with Irene Blanck, an Australian quilt designer. It is one of my favorite quilts. Your Tilda clams are going to make a very pretty bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the new look kitchen... looks like much more storage space and easy to keep. Great visit to Montacute... I always love having a look at life from a different time.... great clam shells -
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS... loved looking at the samplers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the guided tour of the castle - nothing much like that here!
    How lovely to have a shiny new kitchen...happy sewing the clamshells.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your shell patchwork work so much... I'll take a look at Michelle's instructions in a moment... Google is a wonderful partner for all approaches!
    Thank you for your wonderful photos of the Montacute House and garden, Lin... I love these mansions and can imagine you were forever busy with the embroidery and fabric work... and there is momentum for your own work.
    Congratulations on the new kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab new kitchen! It is just amazing how much pleasure a new kitchen can give; I remember doing a new kitchen in this house and I still enjoy spending time in it, although it is a bit of an old hat now. Great pictures from Montague House; I love Long Galleries in old houses, one can just picture it, walks in any kind of weather, usually with a wonderful view.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wonder whether the ladies taking a turn in a Long Gallery were delighted to be able to walk in all weathers or frustrated at being confined to the house. But it would have been wonderful for the Mad Half Hour I used to have when I was little, when I set up and obstacle course in the hall and careered around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to have the new kitchen........
    Enjoy your clam shells......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new kitchen is lovely. Thanks for the tour....what a treat to see those beautiful samplers and stumpwork. I am so far behind blog reading you'll be tired of seeing my comments xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.