Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Friday 29 September 2023

Cornwall part 2

 


The National Trust property Godolphin was just a few miles from where we were staying near Helston (NW of Helston if you are looking at the map) and I had been looking forward to visiting. Unfortunately it became a case of dodge the showers as we walked round the gardens so it would have been nice to spend more time there.

The house is a two story building most of which is closed to the public as it is used as a holiday let.



The gardens looked lovely considering it was September and raining!








The entrance to the Kings Garden - so called because the gardens were 'fit for a King' and were the entrance to the guest apartments of the house.



At St Erth there is a large park and ride where you can leave your car and take the train for a 10 minute ride to St Ives. We did not spend much time in St Ives as it was incredibly busy and we didnt feel like battling through crowds to get to see anything. However, took a few pictures of the harbour which is very picturesque.


We found a lot of these noisy Turnstones around the harbour area.



Going back on the train we sat on the left hand side so had amazing views of Carbis Bay across to Hayle which was well worth the trip. Unfortunately train windows not clean enough for photographs!

We visited Marazion and looked across to St Michaels Mount.


I was not doing well for photographs that day - here the sun was in totally the wrong direction!

Our last day was incredibly windy - I watched an umbrella fly past the bedroom window before I got up! - and showery. We spent an hour wandering round Helston and then moved on to The Lizard and the chocolate factory near Mullion. Interesting to be able to watch some of the chocolates being made and to indulge in some delicious purchases. There are other interesting craft shops and galleries to visit there too.
From there we drove on to the Lizard point and stopped for lunch. The sun was shining so we sat outside in one of the cafe's huts just in case it rained. But it was incredibly windy. I did fear for my salad as it was delivered! However lovely to sit there and look at the view. I was not looking my best I have to say but there was a very rare photograph taken of me.


After a walk down to the point and a look at the birds we retreated to the car just in time to miss a downpour and happily sat there with our books and binoculars for the rest of the afternoon.

Hope you enjoyed the second installment of our trip - I shall be back soon with some sewing news.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, Lin. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate with you. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely area.... pity the weather played up on you ..... it sounds like you are like us... if there is big crowds we prefer a detour!!...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain, books and bird watching...perfect afternoon in my book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild weather is fine if you have the right clothing and somewhere warm in which to recover, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankyou for the tour pics of Cornwall. stunning old buildings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.