Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 7 September 2024

Friday Night With Friends

 And here we are in September! Autumn is beginning and we are starting to clear the garden of plants that have gone over. Thinking about planting bulbs for the spring and feeling thankful for the rain we have had over the last few days and moistening our very dry ground.

Lovely to join in with everyone yesterday for another Friday of sewing. Thanks to Cheryll for organising and you can pop over here to see what everyone was working on.

As usual I started after lunch with my Stitch Journal. We have these little 'pebbles' to fill in this month and I am enjoying working in the round again. I especially love the ones that have finished up with a dimensional look, like shells or urchins. Black (and grey and silver) is of course this months RSC colour.


No work on my Boro flower panel this week - I got side tracked by a Stitch Club video from Textile Artist.org. They usually do a freebie in September and this one really interested me. It is by Deb Cooper who creates beautiful work using recycled fabrics, plant dyes and rust. Well, I do love a bit of rust so how could I resist.

Basically the technique uses fabrics and threads in natural fibres and neutral colours. I have spent this week putting together a small sampler - aprox 6" x 12" - using cotton, linen and silk fabric scraps and threads using a variety of stitches. Deb includes torn papers and found objects too. I must say I loved doing this and also love my sampler - so much so that I had to be really strong and strict with my self to move on to the next stage! Here is my completed sampler.





Next stage was to bundle it up with some rusty nails and a small lump of rusty metal I found in the garage

sorry about the poor lighting! And it is now soaking in hot strong tea for 24 hours.


Well, we were told 48 hours is better but I can't wait that long especially as you have to leave it to dry out before unfolding! Come back next week for the results.

Next up I needed to make a start on my RSC log cabins. The strips are cut but first I needed to embroider the little Joy in the Ordinary block from Jennifer. Here it is today after I pressed and trimmed it.

Tonight I shall be sewing log cabins.

Also this week I managed to complete two socks.



Now, I don't usually knit two socks at a time but when I started the ones on the left (which use Amethyst and Wildflowers yarn from West Yorkshire Spinners) they were going to be in this Treasure Socks design. However, after knitting the leg I decided it was all too tight, even though I had knitted very loosely. So I went back to my usual basic sock pattern. Meanwhile I had also started the sparkly sock on the right as light relief from the pattern. Anyway, that is the story of these socks, two down, two more to go.

So I think that is me all caught up and I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else worked on last night.
Have a good week.




12 comments:

  1. Some really lovely projects in the works Lin. Your stitch journal block looks very effective, especially the one with the variegated thread. Gosh I just love that textile block you are creating & really like the simplicity of the natural colours. I look forward (so much!!) to seeing what the rusty nails etc & the tea dying did for your block. Have a lovely weekend Lin. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... you have certainly been busy Lin. It's nice to see someone has mojo... perhaps mine will return soon. Until then I'll just enjoy seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of beautiful hand work going on in your world. I'm hoping you might be able to suggest a site that will help me to brush up on my stitching skills and maybe learn some new ones? Perhaps a weekly/monthly sew along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect colours for your seashells etc. Lovely bright socks and looking forward to seeing what the rusty nails and tea produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been so productive Lin. I on the other hand had a little nap on FNwF and had to carry it over to Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colored socks! If you're going to knit your own socks, they ought to be gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing your Rust & Tea project next week. A very interesting technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm very intrigued by the rust and tea combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting project with the tea and rust! I like the new stitching journal idea. Is it guided or do you do your own thing? Of course I love the socks...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a productive evening Lin, looking forward to seeing your rusting results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sampler piece sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing it finished. I was unable to participate in this month's FNwF but I'll be checking in on everyone. You had a productive Friday, love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work on your stitchery piece.
    Will be great to see what your tea and rust project turns out like.
    Gorgeous socks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh - your donuts will be fun -love th4e idea of adding silver to black
    looking forward to seeing your dying experiment...I must post about my salt dying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.