Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday, 22 August 2026

Cooling down

Yes, temperatures have dropped here to reasonable/normal levels and we have even had rain! But nothing significant enough to help the garden although there is more forecast for later next week. We had tickets for the cricket yesterday - our annual meet up with friends - and have had fingers crossed all week that the rain would hold off. Which it did fortunately. It was a cloudy day with sunny spells and perfect for cricket. Even better Somerset had a good day with both bat and then ball so we were all very happy. Great to catch up with our friends too.

Here is my Stitch Journal for the week - cricket suitably commemorated.


I finished the socks earlier in the week.


A perfectly matching pair which is a first!

A finish means a start so I had a new project in mind. I needed to use up some sock wool scraps and spotted a pattern online that I though would be perfect. First though I pulled out all my scraps and selected a pile that would work with a skein of co-ordinating yarn.


I had ordered the circular needle recommended in the pattern - a ProKnit Zing and made a start. Fairly soon I realised that me and the needles were not getting along - the straight bit you hold to knit with seemed too short. So I ordered a pair of 10" Zing needles in the same size. When they arrived I swapped over and soon realised 1. that they were much nicer than the circular and 2. that they felt thicker. So I got out my trusty needle guage and sure enough the circular needle slipped easily through the guage where as the straight needle had to be pushed through. Not sure if you can see the difference in my photo but I can 'in the flesh'.


Anyway I have written to ProKnit and await their thoughts.
So I carried on knitting even though feeling that this would all be coming out as I could tell the tension was going to be out. Plus of course I had not taken into account that not all 4 ply's are the same thickeness.
Anyway, here I am so far and on the point of pulling it apart.


Quite apart from the tension issue I can see that I have not got my 'sashing' even and need to work out precisely how many rows to work and from which side to pick up. Unfortunately the pattern is not helpful on this point. Plus the pattern is all worked in garter stitch and I have decided to use stocking stitch for the centre of the squares. Maybe I will put it to one side and get out my granny square jumper lol.

Meanwhile I have been working on my Chookshed Challenge and have finished my teasel.


I am now working on this cone flower.


Only just over a week to the end of the month so I need to get cracking, fortunately the last flower will be a cowslip which should be quick.

Now, I must mention my Book of the Year So Far! It is this one and I can not reccomend it more highly.


Such a delicious read about friendship, love and loss. Absolutely brilliant and I give it 10 out of 5 stars.

So that is my update for the week. Happy stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting about the inconsistency of the "same-sized" knitting needles. Thanks for the book tip. If not for me, then maybe Mom would enjoy it. Have a great week. Glad your weather has calmed down. Here too in Illinois, USA.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.