Had a busy day yesterday with a visit from my niece and great niece which was lovely. Over a year since I last saw them at a family wedding so lots to catch up on.
And made a good start on my Chookshed Challenge embroideres. The first one I worked on was a small flowerlet from my Agapanthus - see header picture. The plant deigned to flower for the first time this year - it's fourth summer and following a stern 'this is your last chance' talking to. So worth commemorating I thought in case it is the only time.
I started by drawing with inktense pencils onto my fabric which I then moistened with a water and fabric medium mix. I thought straight away that the colours were too dark but carried on anyway just for the practise. Just as well as at one point I added too much water and the colour spread outside the petal. Having left it to dry and then ironed I wondered if the fabric medium would prevent any watery background colour encroaching into the petals but discovered not. Here is my failure.
After that I tried another with normal watercolour pencils and almost neat fabric medium which has worked very well. I decided against background colour. Here is the finished embroidery over the painted colour.
I have started on the next piece. We grew teasels for the first time this year - well last year from seed and they flowered this year. This is it so far. You can see where I have used the pencils and fabric medium again to go behind the stitching.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.