Having gone as far as I can with my Red Manor BOM until my fabric order arrives, I turned to my flower basket tablecloth. When I left it I had made these diamonds to go into the flower baskets.
So I carefully cut out the pieces to make up the baskets and started putting them together. The Y seams went in like a dream so I was disappointed to find that nothing was quite square! The baskets are all together now as you can see here.
Unfortunately where the flower blocks meet there are a few points that are severely chopped, however there was nothing to be done about it so they will have to stay. This is now another project on the back burner until my fabric order arrives.
So what to do next? Well I suppose I could have got out one of my many UFO's but I didnt want a major project that I would have to put aside again when the fabric arrives. So after reading a couple of blog posts recently about organising scraps I decided to tackle my scrap box. Here it is pre sort - it is shoe box size.
I decided to sort it all into three piles - anything 2" square or larger, strips less than 2" and crumbs which went back into the box.
I decided to tackle the larger pieces first and spent an afternoon pressing and then cutting into Scrap Therapy squares to add to my collection. The squares are 2", 3.5" and 5". They work well together and I regularly dip into them when I am looking for something to make a border.
The next day I was side tracked as I came across a new pattern on Instagram called the #weeboxybasket. The pattern is available from @sweetcinnamonroses Laura Cunningham and comes in two sizes - the rectangle I made and a small square one that sits inside. The original pattern uses mesh for the pockets and although I have mesh I dont have any elastic for the top and anyway I find the mesh a bit annoying as things get caught in it!
This didnt take me very long - the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
It holds the machine threads and feet that I use most and sits neatly under the arm of my sewing machine when not in use.
So then it was back to the scraps and I wanted to tackle the strips. I pressed them and straightened those that needed it then sorted them into two colour groups - pink/purple/green and red/yellow/brown autmn colours.
I have used the pink collection to make 6 x 6" string blocks which are all ready for me to turn into a new sewing machine mat.
I think there are enough autumn strips for a couple of pot holders so they could be next.
Just time to show you a small piece of applique I have been working on in the evenings.
This is to be the centre of an autumn mini quilt. Before I go any further though - I am changing those end leaves for something larger!
Hope you have all had a good week - speak to you again soon.