I have been enjoying a bit of simple machine embroidery.
This card for my dear friend Mad started out as a piece of black felt with pieces of sweet wrapper bondawebed to it. They were machined around and then the piece was covered with a sheer fabric and free machined into place. I then went over it with a heat gun so that some of the sheer fabric was melted away. At this point it looked interesting but it needed something else! So I played around with some of the stitches my machine produces using a different shiny or silky thread each time to produce a rich, glitzy card.
Having enjoyed playing around with my machine I decided to use a similar technique for a book cover.
This time I started with white felt which I coloured with disperse dye. I then added a few strands of sparkly angelina, covered it with a sheer fabric and ironed it in place. Then came the fun, with lots of stitching using different threads and stitches. Finally I stitched a spiral to emphasise the doily print that I had used originally onto the felt.
The felt was then backed with cotton before I made up the book cover adding a marker ribbon at the same time.
This is the back of the book.
Our weather has changed now and we are getting cold, frosty nights with bright, sunny days - lovely. We have been having the most amazing sunsets every evening. Here are a few pictures from a few evenings ago.
Well, I have finally finished all my sewing for Christmas - next on the agenda is a good clean and tidy of my workspace! More on this soon.
Have a good week and thank you for dropping by.